Blog Description

The development of an artist, who seeks to make the world an inspiring and beautiful place through the gift of music.

Tuesday, June 6, 2017

New Gear... The Roller Coaster

Getting new gear is like a roller coaster ride. It's like Oooo... and Ah... Sometimes scary. Sometimes harry. And sometimes a great thrill.

Fun, Roller Coaster, Legoland, Denmark

Recently I updated my mic to a Shure sm7b. A really great studio mic. The salesman told me about 3 times how Michael Jackson used it to record thriller. Oooo.... Ah.... I also had to get a Cloud Lifter in order for my little set up to be able to handle the new mic.
Yup. It's pretty sweet. I've already used it a little bit to play around.

That spurred me onto to updating my Pro Tools. This is the scary, because last time I did this, I lost a lot of plugins due to the transition of file extension from vst to aax and I had JUST purchased a full orchestral sound bank that could no longer be used. Grrr... So I haven't gotten a new one for quite some time.

This time though, so far, so good.

Next, I got the Orchestral Suite by UVI for my newest version of Pro Tools (12).


This has some amazing sounds to it. As far as midi instruments go, it's really some sweet sampled sounds. But silly me.... I forgot that some instruments don't play in orchestras... like Saxophones.

What's a girl to do?!

Then my computer starts acting funny.

"I can't handle all these plugins!" "You don't need to record that do you?" "You're pushing too hard!"

So, it was decided that I need a new computer. I hemmed and hawed about this because as much as I may need one, I really hate having to install all of those really large, cumbersome apps onto another device.


Last night, I got the new computer. Hard to get things done. Now comes the harry. This is going to take all day. So, here I sit. Waiting for things to happen...


I guess I have to take my own advice. I know it's going to be a great setup for me once it's done. So, what can I do? I have to KEEP MOVING FORWARD!

Peace, Love, and all that Jazz,

Amy