Blog Description

The development of an artist, who seeks to make the world an inspiring and beautiful place through the gift of music.

Monday, April 30, 2018

A Dear John Letter to Pro Tools

Dear Pro Tools,

    Well, I wish I could say it's been fun, but honestly, you've been a thorn in my side since we started this cantankerous romance.

    The money I've spent on plugins and upgrades - Thousands of $$$$. The headaches I've had with losing the use of plugins due to switches in file format (vst to aax, etc...), or frustration from just not knowing how to deal with things like compression, dynamics - And YOU were no help! The confusion, the days lost, the ups, the downs. It was a love affair gone wrong! 


So, goodbye Pro Tools! I'm breaking up with you! 



   You see, I've met someone else. 

Yes, you may say that they're not as great as you. You may say that they only work on one operating system, and that's ok, because it just happens to be the one I use. 

And you may say, that they can't fulfill my needs with score writing and composition. Yes, there may be a learning curve and I may just keep your brother, Sibelius, for he has always been a more intuitive, gentler friend. However, I'm confident that eventually, that too will not be a mystery and that together this new program and I will be happy.

 Who is it? Who has stolen me from you? Well, it just happens to be Apple's own Logic Pro X



At a fraction of the cost of you, Pro Tools, I get:

  • Mixing Plugins
  • Realistic Midi instruments (including excellent drum sets - no need for EZ Drummer or other 3rd party costly plugins)
  • Free updates
  • User friendly interface
We fell madly in love while I watched composers using it to create beautiful scores for film about 3 years ago. Then, my brother bought me the lighter version last year (many thanks big bro!). 

Now, I had set myself into a quiet complacency with you after figuring out all your traps and nuances. Your hidden features and confusing guides. But, after I found out that you would be charging me $300 to upgrade you yet again! I put my foot down! How DARE you! You POMPOUS, OVERINFLATED, PRIG!!

And so, let us let bygones be bygones. Let us not look back with anger and discontented ruminations, but remember the good times (of which there were very few) and consider what we have learned from each other. 

So get lost Pro Tools!!!... I have found a new love.



With Regrets, 
(for having wasted so much of my life on you)

Amy

PS - I've already written a song in Logic Pro X and it sounds so goooood!