Blog Description

The development of an artist, who seeks to make the world an inspiring and beautiful place through the gift of music.

Sunday, May 24, 2015

Bold New Career Steps

I have been a musician my whole life long. My mother loves to tell the story of how I sang the chorus of "Angels We Have Heard On High" when I was only 3 months old. Later, it was nothing for me and my two siblings to stand in front of a congregation and sing a few songs with my mother playing guitar. I think that began when I was around 4 years old.

I have sung in musicals, a country band, a rock band, a jazz band, a big band, and on, and on.. I have had jobs as Worship Leaders and Directors in churches. And so, I have enjoyed and reveled in the attention one gets from being on a stage doing what they love.

In college, I studied music and began writing songs, but did not study theory very in depth.

I play several instruments. Some well, some terribly. I have spent a fortune on instruments, recording equipment, live gear and anything that will make me better at performing.

After recording several albums of material, both sacred and secular, I realized that yeah, you can hack your way through music and make it sound decent. But, now, I want to go deeper. I want to know the depth and breadth of music. So, I have decided that it's time I learn how to compose and arrange.

My goal is to bring something fresh and new to the world of music. Here's what I know, I'm going to write crap at first. I'm going to screw up and have many trial runs. But if I keep at it, I know I can bring the music in my head to the written page.

Some of you are going to cheer me on. Some of you are going to lose interest. Some of you are going to hate it. Some of you are looking for insight into your own struggles as musicians and writers. I hope to help you with my journey.

Won't you join me? Maybe we can all learn something.

Amy