Blog Description

The development of an artist, who seeks to make the world an inspiring and beautiful place through the gift of music.

Tuesday, November 17, 2015

Promise Delivered!

Hey guys,

So I promised to share a sound recording of Perhaps, Perhaps, Perhaps with you and so I'm making good on that today.


Now, let me just say, once I heard the score played by an actual band, I was able to hear the flaws in the score much more clearly. So here's what I hear that needs tweaking:

  • The trumpets are too soft. Can't hardly hear them at all. 
  • The Saxophonists got confused and thought they were supposed to provide the solo. Though, it's a killer solo, it's actually meant for trumpet. 
  • I had forgotten the Piano and Guitar part at home. No big deal, but, there was a really cool piano part that is now missing from the recording. :(
  • I felt it was fast. You can hear the trumpets playing their parts super fast. 
Now for what's right:
  • IT Works! Yay! Forgive me if I pat myself on the back a little, I am a little proud of that. The last score I tried to write for big band ended in catastrophe! I was so broken by the humiliation, I didn't try this again for 4 or 5 years. So glad I did!
  • I love the song and even though I feel I'm a little pitchy (due to excitement), it sounds amazing.
  • River Cities Jazz Band - The band I get the honor of working with is such an open, accepting group. Thank you to them for allowing me to contribute in this way. 
If you are starting out in arranging and composing and have fallen flat, don't lose heart! And certainly don't wait 4 or 5 years to get back up on the horse. Go back to the books! Learn and try again. I am certainly glad I found the book, Jazz Composition and Arranging in the Digital Age

Keep moving forward. Keep working on your next latest and greatest. That's where I'm headed. :)