Blog Description

The development of an artist, who seeks to make the world an inspiring and beautiful place through the gift of music.

Monday, August 3, 2015

That's Not A Grace Note!! It's an Appoggiatura

 When I first read about in appoggiatura I thought what the heck is this? It didn't make any sense - at least not in the way it was explained. Truly, sometimes I think that trying to learn music theory out of books is like slapping a posted note to your head, pouring ink on the ground and rolling around in it in order to remind yourself to go to the doctor on Wednesday.

However, let me take a stab at it in every man's language and see if I can do better.

An appoggiatura is a lot like a grace note. The difference is, grace notes are played before the beat and appoggiaturas are played on the beat. 

This is a little more difficult than it sounds. The purpose is to create tension in a piece that resolves quickly. Depending on what note is before an appoggiatura, will determine how it's played.  

Now, because I learn best by watching and listening, I'm going to assume you do too. So here's the best explaination I have found on it. Enjoy! 



I also copied his chart, so that it can be referred to. 


The appoggiatura, it's not a grace note! 

It's played different -- so know the difference!

Ah, music theory,... now would you please excuse me while I get out my inkwell and post it notes. I have a doctors appointment coming up, and I don't want to be late.