Blog Description

The development of an artist, who seeks to make the world an inspiring and beautiful place through the gift of music.

Friday, July 31, 2015

The Road To Discovery

So as previously confessed, I tried my hand at score writing about five years ago. It was a horrible disaster!

I thought I could get by without a solid grasp of the terminology, note articulation, or music theory. I had a computer and notation software and an aptitude for creating music. I quickly realized however, that without the skill set previously mentioned, I was basically shooting in the dark.

I proudly handed out my score to a group of 18 competent musicians. They began to play what can only be described as the worst noise I had ever heard. I stopped them and broke down in tears. What happened?

It sounded wonderful on the software I had. Everything sounded in tune and seemed to fit rhythmically and harmonically. It was so confusing as to why it didn't work that I set aside my dreams of being a composer until now.

I was as clueless as this guy:



Lol! I love Don Music!

Anyway, it wasn't just that I didn't have a firm grasp on my music theory and the like, it also had to do with my use of the software. I have Sibelius, and I like to just troubleshoot my way through programs. I grew up in a home where we've had computers since I was a little girl, starting with a DOS machine. Yes, that long ago.

Back to 5 yrs ago, I had Sibelius playing back the music exactly as I had played it into the computer. Instead, I should've change the settings so that it played it back exactly as it was written. That way I would've found a lot of mistakes. Also I didn't understand a lot of the settings and Sibelius nor how to navigate the program beyond surface level. 

Now, I have Jazz Composition and Theory and Practice by Ted Pease. I can tell you I did not find the book helpful towards my efforts. The book is meant to be used in a classroom setting with the course from Berkeley music college. (I actually had to dig into my library in order to find it. Now that I have, I may dip back into it, but it's very rudimentary to me now.)

It also doesn't have the one thing that  Jazz Composition and Arranging in the Digital Age by Richard Sussman and Michael Abene has:



Hints and help guides for using Finale and Sibelius software.

Placed throughout the text of the book, these tips are on how to use both versions of scoring softwares. This invaluable addition to the book puts it leagues ahead of the competition. Also, with the addition of a website that can be updated, potentially makes the text relevant for years to come. It's helped me so very, very much. (No, I don't get a kickback from them for saying any of this.)

So, now I'm less like this. 

Thankfully, the dent in my forehead from slamming it into the keys is healing nicely. 

And like all things, one must learn to walk before one can run. However, I will say that I'm so close to sprinting now that I'm writing and composing a new piece I hope to share with you soon. 

Keep on going! Even when your crawling, you're progressing forward!