Blog Description

The development of an artist, who seeks to make the world an inspiring and beautiful place through the gift of music.

Monday, July 13, 2015

Reverse Engineering: Not Just for Mad Scientists

"Igor! Throw the switch!"
"Yes, Master!"
Zap! Kapow! ZZZZZZIT! 
"It's Alive! It's Alive!!! MWAHAHAHAHAHAAAAA!" 


Yes, I've been experimenting again. 

     Actually, it was a challenge to see if I could map out about 8 bars of the rhythm section in a difficult piece of music. Hopefully, I'm not too far off the mark. I'll put the original and the finished piece next to each other so you can hear them and critique the piece should you wish to. 

     I chose the song, "Jump, Swing Blues" by Rick Krive.  Here's the full piece:




I transcribed measures 5-12 of the piece, and only the rhythm section. This area, being the beginning of the song is rather sparse, but the rhythms are challenging -- At least to a non-drummer they are. Here's my best shot:
(click image to enlarge)

Here's where you can listen to the original and the scored chart above. Please note, that electronic instruments will not be as emotive or dynamic as when people play. 



Well, that's all for now, my fellow mad scientists.

Join us again next time, when we dissect something else fun and thrilling!