Blog Description

The development of an artist, who seeks to make the world an inspiring and beautiful place through the gift of music.

Monday, July 20, 2015

Artists Are People Too!

Ah yes, I've heard people say many times over, "I wish I had your talent!"

It's extremely flattering. It's very generous. It's also very humbling.

I often ask people what they do for a living. They may say, "I'm a bookkeeper" or "salesman" or "nurse."

All those professions take discipline to make happen. I am a musician/writer. It takes discipline to be what I am too.

Often, I will say to those people, "Wow. I wish I could do what you do." And it's true. I'm terrible at accounting - failed the course. I don't sell things very well. And the nurse thing? Ugh... Blood and stitches and puss? Bleh! I admire those people. I could not do that and it isn't easy to do those trades either. But it's what they may have been built for.

This is what I was built for: writing and music.

Now, because this doesn't offer me a steady income unless I want to teach or become a worship leader, I will need to become good at designing a business around what I do. How do I make myself sellable?

Well, I'm terrible at self-promotion. I feel a lot of shame whenever I do it.

I need help at marketing. I get myself to a certain level and then stalemate.

I don't know what to charge. Haven't thought it fully through I guess.

I need a LOT of encouragement. A LOT. A LOT. A LOT.

What's a girl to do?

Enter Marie Forleo:

I like this woman for a number of reasons: 
  1. She's positive 
  2. She's encouraging. 
  3. She's quick to the point. 
  4. She's quirky - with a great sense of humor.
  5. She takes everything that's in long winded self-help books and consolidates it. 
  6. She teaches productivity and business sense.
As I try to make this experience as positive and painless as possible, I know I'm going to run into road blocks and places where I stumble. Having an encouraging voice can make all the difference in the world to someone like me... An artist/business woman. 

So, thank you Marie, for encouraging others to do and be more. And if YOU have something to share with the world, DO IT! We need more positive messages out there. The world needs your talent.