Blog Description

The development of an artist, who seeks to make the world an inspiring and beautiful place through the gift of music.

Thursday, June 11, 2015

All About 'Dat Bass

As I travel down this road, which is more like the whimsical Seussian road or the yellow brick road from the Wizard of Oz, I am finding places along the path where I need to pause.


One of which is my need of some fine tuning, specifically with the left hand. But here's what it's made me appreciate, the bass line. Yes, like the Wizard of Oz, the story wouldn't be complete if we didn't find the tin man's missing heart. And The bass is just like our heart beat, we hardly notice it until it's missing. "Where's the thump, thump, thump?" we say.

But dear bassists, I know your pain too. It's not enough to go "thump, thump, thump." You want to play a melody or countermelody, or something! Not just a thumping, monotone, droning underpinning. No! Give me some heart! I want to feel you, bass.

So, in my continued stretching and striving to understand this whimsical, magical world of Jazz theory, I am looking at my weak left hand playing and saying, "I'm so sorry. I've ignored you for so long. Letting the right hand have all the fun and play those flashy runs, while you held down the beat. Forgive me. You are capable of so much more."

Now, lest we get ahead of ourselves here, let me just say, I'm not kidding when I say my left hand has been underworked. It's muscle memory consists mainly of playing chords and keeping the beat.  Which has suited me fine, for now, but no more! Lest we never get to the Emerald City!

Here's a guy who's good at explaining. It must be nice to be so amazing at your talent that you're named after your instrument. Maybe one day they'll call me "Amy the Voice", but I doubt it.

Here's Harry the Piano:

Doesn't he make it look easy? Thank you, Mr. "The Piano". He's a cabaret pianist and very gifted. It's nice of him to explain the peddle usage, rhythmic devices, and some history. Love it. 

Well, back to Schwartz training (Spaceball fans will get that one.) The yellow brick road seems really long, but every journey begins with a step. 

Keep moving forward!