Blog Description

The development of an artist, who seeks to make the world an inspiring and beautiful place through the gift of music.

Sunday, June 28, 2015

Jazztimes - A Great Site

In all my scuttling around, trying to be a better musician, I would be remiss in my studies if I didn't look to my betters for guidance and wisdom. I mean, greatness isn't born in a vacuum, right? So, I looked about and found:

http://jazztimes.com

I like this site for several reasons.

  1. Articles on professionals in the biz.
  2. Articles on education.
  3. It covers the globe. 
  4. It shows upcoming festivals, gigs, etc...
  5. Reviews on books, movies, concerts...
  6. And so, so, much more.
Here's what I don't like, no breakdown of the music. No in depth look into what makes the arrangements great. 

In a way it makes sense, Jazz is (to a degree) about improv. But! For the larger ensembles, we do need to see what makes them great. How they pull together the sound to become AWESOME, well crafted, bands. 

However, I am looking at Downbeat magazine too. They have a transcription article, so I have hope that it will be able to fill the void. Though, the site is very much in need of help, imho. 

Oh well, back to my left hand training! Oh the agony and fun!