Blog Description

The development of an artist, who seeks to make the world an inspiring and beautiful place through the gift of music.

Thursday, June 18, 2015

What does - > ^ • mean, anyway? Let me articulate that for ya.

Yes, they are strange and somewhat confusing.... Articulation Marks.



There's even been discussion that because arrangers tend to use different articulations (or accents), there should be a cheat sheet given to musicians with each score. But that's silly. We can figure this out, right?

I have to admit, it was sort of a mystery to me. I didn't even know what those little funny dots and things were called above the notes. And I certainly hadn't seen them in high school or college as a trumpet player. And if I had, I totally refused to acknowledge any prior knowledge to ma wee brain concerning it. Funny how we do that, huh? Well, ok, I'd seen the staccato and fermata mark before.

If you're new to this nuance of the music world, these are the rule breakers. They sit above notes like halos and devil horns giving permission to hold out longer, play louder, blat a note and a host of other things. Yes, your quarter note can bend the rules, even in 4/4 time. These marks take the mechanical out - sort of - because they also put the mechanical back in... Let's get to it.



These look really small here, but click on them and they will get bigger. If you're a jazz arranger wanna be like me, the first image represents most of what you will need. If you'd like to learn about more music symbols, I would favorite wikipedia's page on them. Make your life easier for reference's sake. 

But here's what I want to say about articulation marks. They can make or break a piece. If you want to liven up a piece, adding these babies can make all the difference. Why add a dotted quarter note, when you could add an accent above a note, then a staccato above the next and get a swinging sound? Fun! Or break it loose with a fermata and your song will never end!

So add some spice to your flavors and use those articulations! I'm going to be learning so much more about them and adding them to my recipe of musicianship.

Let the band play on!